Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Betsey Apron with a Ruffle

Looking for a quick and pretty sew for a hostess gift ? to pair with a cookie in a jar mix ? To pair with a kitchen gift ? For the annual 20$ gift exchange ? Work buddy gift ? 

Today the lovely Rachel is here and this one pattern, the Betsey Apron she is showing off goes from kids to plus sizes all in ONE pattern!!!!!!! Yep, ALL the sizes in one pattern!  


Please take a moment to leave Rachel a comment  at the end of the post telling her something you love about her post or pics!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hello, my name is Rachel, and I am currently a stay-at-home mom. Whenever I have a spare minute, I love to sew, work on my first (and hopefully not last) novel, and write in my blog, https://mrspodge.wordpress.com.



I’m a big fan of the Betsey apron, with its classic 1950s styling and easy to follow directions. Last Christmas, I followed the directions precisely and made matching aprons for a dear friend and her daughter. They were thrilled with their gifts and love to wear them when baking together.


This Christmas, I wanted to make a couple of aprons for myself and my own daughter, Zoë, age 3 1/2. Zoë loves all things pink and purple. The flouncier, the better. I had some Sis Boom, Caravelle Arcade fabric that I was dying to use, and had enough pink and purple to please even my discriminatory daughter.


I didn’t end up having time to make one for myself, but I made a very special one for my daughter, and added a ruffle.


How to add a ruffle :

I cut a 4” X 100” strip of fabric, folded it in half, pressed it, and gathered it. I did not use the bias tape trim. Instead, I sewed the ruffle between the two sides of the reversible apron in exactly the same way one would attach a ruffle to a pillow, except that I tapered the ruffle until it disappeared at the top of the apron. I turned it inside out, and finished the rest of the apron exactly according to directions.


Zoë, in a fit of stubbornness, admired the apron, but refused to try it on for several hours. She truly believes clothing is optional, even in December. I finally persuaded her to put on some clothes and the apron, and she was absolutely delighted with it. She wanted to start baking cookies then and there!


I love the way the ruffle makes the Betsey apron even more feminine, and look forward to making one for myself soon!


Looking to make this a full body apron ? Check out THIS post


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So adorable! What a fun idea to make for gifts!!

-Shanna

Unknown said...

Wonderful dress collection. fabrics cloth and dress both are awesome.

African Wax Print, African George Fabric